Friday, August 28, 2009

Lemuria Bookstore, Jackson, Miss.


Friday, April 10, 2009  

Thanks to everyone who came out last night for the event at Lemuria. By any measure it was a great success, and a good time. I enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting new people, and the folks at Lemuria did a great job of setting things up. I think Lemuria may have the largest cache of copies of Sultana and Mississippi in Africa of any bookstore, which warms my heart. There's a lot to be said for having such a great indy bookstore in your own backyard.

For those of you who had to leave because the lines for the signing extended so long and the reading was delayed: Sorry. And yet: Not. Each time I looked out the door and saw people still coming, I'd think, Hmm, it's going to be a while before we can do the reading, and I wonder if the C-Span guys can wait. Then I'd think, This is precisely what you want to happen.

The only downside, and it was minor, was my difficulty in coming up with satisfactory inscriptions for friends. It's a lot harder than you might think, and I'm terrible at it.

We were also fortunate that the inclement weather bypassed us.

I'll let everyone know when the C-Span segment is going to air.

I'm curious to know how people heard about the event, other than those who are here on Facebook, because there was so little local publicity, as compared with, say, New York City, where there were notices all over the place. That's odd, no? I think Lemuria ran some ads, but The Clarion-Ledger, true to its current form (see "The future of local news" note), ignored it. The only notice I saw was the piece that ran in The Northside Sun. Thanks to editor and friend Jimmye Sweat for that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment